Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Time for a Kitchen Floor!!!

Today is a HUGE day!!!  For it's hopefully the "beginning of the end" in terms of the flooring in my house!  I have had to replace EVERYTHING wall-to-wall in terms of flooring.  When I first purchased the home, the foreclosure company had pulled out all of the smelly carpet (thankfully), but I still had layers of flooring in the kitchen, parque flooring in the entryway, and linoleum in all three bathrooms.

Well, the carpet was added, hardwood floors were installed, and today the tile work begins!!!  It's such a great feeling.  This has been probably the slowest part of the home restoration process.  I wanted to make sure all of the leaks were taken care of first (front door, patio door, kitchen ceiling, water heater, bathroom sink, refrigerator) before I installed the floors.  Well, with that work all complete, it's time to officially make this house a home!!!

The hardwood floors turned out AMAZING.  I am so happy with the color choice.  I absolutely love them!  And now I'm hoping I just love, love, love the kitchen floor, too!

I cleaned up the bathroom floor just a bit more this morning, but I was happy to see that the floors dried out perfectly.  Time to add tile!!!

The bathroom dried up!

Ready for tile!

It's wild to think this was a toilet and vanity and linoleum just a few days ago!
The crew showed up a bit late (late morning), but it was indeed a crew, and they went to work.  I let the lead guy know that I wanted the main bathroom done, as well, and he said that wouldn't be a problem.  I just needed to go buy some more mortar board.  Easy enough!

And what a great feeling to watch them progress in their work as a crew...and thinking about how long it would take me solo.  I mean, this IS work!!!  The measuring, the cutting, the walking back and forth.  I am so happy I hired it done.

The mortar board being laid.

The massive dining area in the kitchen is now complete and ready for tile!  And tile I have!  The boxes are there on top.
The mortar board was laid down, but the progress was a little bit slower than anticipated!  With the late arrival and early departure, they didn't get all of the mortar board laid down.  And I was told that he measured wrong, so I needed to go pay for a couple more mortar boards.  Which is fine.  I'm still saving money by going through them, so an extra $60 isn't going to negate that.

The bathroom is getting a facelift!  So happy I worked feverishly to clean those floors so this project can be complete, too!
All in all, I'm happy and SO EAGER to see how these floors turn out!!!  Can't wait!!!  I ended up buying a 24" quartz tile from Lowe's.  I tell you, shopping for tile flooring is just downright difficult.  You have prices from $1.50-$infinity!  I settled for about $2.50/square foot for a nice, thick quartz porcelain tile.  It should last longer than the home!  It's actually simiar to the color of the mortar board, so this is kind of how it's going to look!

The house is going to be a home soon!!!  Once the floors are in, the majority of the "flip" work is complete!  How exciting!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment