Monday, July 24, 2017

The Bathroom is (Almost!) Done!!!

Well, the morning started out with a phone call to my flooring contractor.  And much to my surprise, he said that he would be over right away to fix the mistake.  I guess a project he was supposed to do today didn't pan out, so he had some free time.  He was over within the hour, and he went to work right away on the cut.  He had the tools, and he had the problem fixed in less than 10 minutes.

Woo hoo!!!

So not only could I officially put my bathroom back together, but I could take back the diamond blades, too!  Money saved!

I was able to put the toilet extension on with no problems, so the bathroom was ready for a toilet!  But not before some more paint...

The toilet flange extension is in!
 I sanded, then painted the drywall patch jobs and the area behind the mirror.  And, yes, this time I chose the right color!  I also installed a different faucet in the sink.  I had mistakenly chosen a "bar faucet" which meant that there was no drain.  So I took that back to Menard's and surprisingly found a Moen faucet that also had a $30 rebate.  I was going to spend full price, but the rebate printed off at the register!  I should have bought two more for upstairs!

The space was tight, but the drain fit right next to the drawer.

The wall is sanded and painted!  Ready for a fixture and mirror!

Almost ready for a new toilet!
Now ready for a new toilet ffter the paint and trim!
So I hooked up the new faucet, installed the brand-new toilet, installed a brand-new light fixture, and added the brand-new mirror.  For the light fixture, I was shocked at the prices in the store!  But I searched and searched, and I found a display model that was on sale.  I had to help the store associate disassemble it (he didn't know how), but I was out the door with a trendy fixture for $34.99.  I know, right, on sale?!  No box, no warranty, and some dust that had to be cleaned.  But it was perfect.

And just like that, this moldy bathroom that just two weeks ago had nothing but a drab 1991 feel to it, was modernized to a brand-new 2017!  I seriously love it.  I don't know the exact total until I do my receipts, but I think I was able to update the entire bathroom for around $900.  New tile floor, new vanity, new toilet, new mirror, new light fixture, new paint.  That's just a smart move!


The new bathroom!
But just to remind me that nothing can be easy, I went to install the last piece of the puzzle:  the door.  And that's when I realized that the door did not fit.  It will have to be cut!!!  With the new tile, the floor raised up too much.  It's an easy fix, but it's yet another reminder that there are surprises at almost every turn!

The hinges are off!  The door has to be cut.

The door drags along the floor.  Aghhhh!!!
But what a relief.  I now have a cute little bathroom!

I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment