Saturday, July 22, 2017

I'm An Idiot!!! (Painting the Wrong Color!)

You ever have one of those days?  You know, one of those days where you just wonder what in the world you were thinking?  You know, one of those days where you are excited to get something accomplished only to realize that YOU and YOU ALONE just doubled the time it will take to get it accomplished?

I firmly believe that everyone should buy a foreclosure at least once.  If only for the fact that you will be faced with challenges, regrets, excitements, failures, decisions, disappointments, and hopefully success.  It's truly a mirror-image of life.

Well, today, I found my failures and excitements all in one day!

Now that the bathroom tiles are complete, it was time to get the bathroom ready for the new vanity.  I went ahead with the modern grey vanity purchase (over the brown wood), and I was eager to get it installed!  Having to pee upstairs every day is a little different!  But first I needed to paint the walls behind the toilet and mirror.  I also elected to change the obscenely-ugly 1991 box light fixture and paint behind that, as well.

The wall behind the toilet needed painted.

As did the area behind the vanity.

Ready to paint!
Well, everything was going well...until it wasn't.  I found the grey paint and painted all of the white spots.  And then I decided to paint the scuff marks from my very abrasive construction crew that left some nicks and scuffs on the wall back when the floorboards were replaced.  I also searched for light spots in the living room and bathroom and touched up those spots, too.

It all sounds great, right?

Except for one very minor (HUGE!) problem:  I grabbed the wrong color paint.

We have a problem here.  The darker color wasn't because it was wet...

My efforts were all a waste!
I can't even make that up!  I painted my downstairs with a very light grey, and I painted my Master Bedroom with a slightly darker grey.  And, just as luck would have it, I grabbed the wrong gallon from my garage.  It was just off enough that when I painted, I merely thought the darker color was the paint being wet.  As with most paints, it would dry a slighly different color.  Well, my paint never dried (it did, it just looked like it was still wet!).  But it was a different color!

Agh!!!  That was my failure.

Of course, I realized my mistake, grabbed the right paint, and painted again.  But what a fiasco.  And what made it all the worse was all of the places I had "touched up" in the living room and bathroom.  I now had different color paint all over the house!

A touch-up to the right of the light-switch.

Touch-ups in the living room.

Touch-ups and painting along the baseboard.  It ALL had to be re-done!!!

How could I be so stupid?!  Well, it was an honest mistake...here are the two colors of grey.  One is right...and one is wrong.  Of course, I 100% chose the 50% wrong one!
Foreclosures (life) can be so frustrating at times!!!  It would all have to be re-done.

Well, the day wasn't all a failure.  I headed outside and did something I am good at:  installed more shutters!  Mom and Dad came over to help on this unbelievably sultry day.  I didn't even wear a shirt and STILL had to take breaks from the heat.  And I was working in the shade!  It was seriously so hot.

But the shutters went up, and the house looks sooooooooo good!  What a HUGE difference such a small change can make!!!

What a difference!!!

Such a simple change.

The house is becoming a home!!!
The house as I started today...

And the house at the end of the day!

The house as I purchased it in July 2016.
What a difference!

The house in July 2016.
I just LOVE the new look!
After the shutters, we headed inside to work.  After re-painting the bathroom walls the RIGHT color, I decided to install my vanity.  And then yet another setback!!!  The vanity has drawers on the right side, and the drain line was lined up right next to the drawer!!!  I was so disappointed!  I had searched forever for a vanity, and I finally found one I liked!  And now it appeared that it would not work!!!

The vanity going into place.

But I had a problem!!!

The drain line appeared to line up directly with the drawer.
What a day.  I started with a frustrating paint fiasco, had a successful shutter install, and ended with a vanity that won't fit!!!  Aghhhhh!!!  There is always something!!!  People think flipping houses is so easy.  Let me be the first to say, it's work!  And it's full of surprises!!!

I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the vanity.  It's just so frustrating!

But at least on the outside, the house now looks like a home!  Now if I can just figure out how to get that vanity to work.  I really want a warm, inviting exterior to lead to a modern, inviting interior!

We will see what tomorrow brings...

No comments:

Post a Comment