Tuesday, July 11, 2017

MORE Black Mold!!!

Well, I decided to tackle a huge project that has been staring at me ever since I bought the house!  I recently had my immediate family and even extended family over for a July 4th celebration, and the main bathroom functioned as it should.  In other words, it took what it needed to out of the house.

But I knew that secrets lay hidden.  How?  Well, I noticed water damage on the exterior walls of the bathroom when I pulled up the kitchen floor, right behind the stove.  I also noticed it in the hallway.  I knew that water had leaked in the past...whether from the air-conditioner or sink or toilet, I knew not.  I only knew that some secret lay underneath that floor.

Upon further inspection, it was evident that the sink had leaked at one point, as the shelf of the vanity had major water damage.

So, what would my remodel find?!  I didn't know...I just knew that I wouldn't be happy with it.

So I started to tear apart the sink and vanity.  The sink came off easy enough.  But in order to remove the vanity, I had to take off the supply lines (they were bigger than the holes in the vanity).  So I took off the supply lines, and as expected, they had minor leaks even though turned off (I have almost yet to find one that doesn't.  These valves are never turned over their lifetime, so they accumulate deposits, and when they ARE finally turned, they don't do what they are supposed to do:  shut off the water!).  So I would have to buy new supply lines.

I had to remove the shut-off valves.  I'll just replace with new 1/4-turn valves.
And then I removed the entire vanity.  My oh my.  Words just can't do this justice, so I'll let this picture describe the whole fiasco:
Look at all of that black mold!!!  This bathroom was a mess!
Yup, MORE black mold.  And lots of it.  I mean, LOTS of it!!!  This house was just covered in mold!  It would all have to go.  Not only do I want to be safe living here, but I want the next owner to be safe, as well.  And let's be honest...a job worth doing is worth doing right.  So I knew that my remodel project just became a bit bigger.  I don't know if I can just clean the walls or if it has gone up inside the walls, too.  Time will tell!!!

I went to remove the toilet, and, of course, an easy job just can't be easy in a remodel.  The bolts and nut that held on the toilet were so rusted that they just disintegrated.  But not enough to break them (of course!).  So I had to cut away the bolts.

The bolts were literally just rust.
So the bathroom is now clear of objects.  But it has exposed a massive amount of black mold.  Obviously, the next project is getting rid of it all!

The bathroom just covered in mold.
Oh, this foreclosure...will it ever end?!

No comments:

Post a Comment